Saturday, August 20, 2011

School Days: Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

We're are more serious about homeschooling this year...well, as much as you can with pre-k4. What I mean I guess is the main goal this year is to get into a good routine and stick with it. When we did the outer space theme, we pretty much just did the unit study. I did some thinking and thought maybe it might be best to ease into a routine. So, we are going to add a subject a week until we're were we should be at. This week we did a smaller unit (that will in a way spill over into next week) and added literacy (letters, phonics and writing).

Our unit is based on Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. A friend shared a lap book idea with me and I added onto it so that it could go into next week. I didn't have any file folders but I have lots of over sized construction paper. I made the construction paper work. This is the first lapbook we've made. Sean really enjoyed putting it together. He even picked it out one night for his bed time story.
Photobucket


I added a few extra things that were not in the original lapbook or in the add-ons. Sean knows his first name pretty well so I added another mini book for his last name. Sean really likes playing a matching game with the upper and lower case letter cards so I printed out more coconut cards and added dots to make a number matching game for next week. Tree book was a big hit because he can read it by himself.
Photobucket
The original lapbook can be found here and the add-ons can be found here.


We also did a simple craft. The trunk is their arm print, the leaves their hand prints, the coconuts their thumb prints and they used stamps to make the letters up the tree.
Photobucket


Sean played Go Fish for the first time but we used the alphabet flash cards we already had. He loved it! Doesn't help that he has beginners luck and won. ;)
Photobucket


Photobucket
Along with the unit study, I made notebooks for worksheets. Sean really likes to do worksheets and we have a ton of workbooks that were given to us (partly used) and a few that I bought. I went through them and picked the pages I thought were the best to make his pre-k4 book. I'm sure we'll add on to the notebook as the year goes on but right now it has beginning sounds, rhyming, and patterns.

PhotobucketI made a separate notebook for handwriting. I actually cut and pasted from existing worksheets to create the worksheets that I wanted. Instead of him learning to write the letters in alphabetic order, I wanted to group the letters like this: http://teachingtoday.glencoe.com/lessonplans/handwriting-group-upper-and-lower-case-letters


Photobucket
Maddy couldn't be left out so I made her a notebook with colors, shapes, go togethers and tracing. I used page protectors in all the notebooks so the worksheets can be used over and over again. The kids also love using the markers! -- a win/win!




My little ones hard at work:Photobucket
Photobucket


Room-Mom101



Stay up to date by following me on twitter @MamaDaniBlog or "liking" my Facebook page. New followers: Welcome! Please leave a comment to let me know how you found my blog so that I can follow you back!

4 comments:

  1. Neat ideas
    I'm working on an abc world tour for this year, I'm so excited about it! We won't start until after Labor Day though, just so I have enough time to get a few weeks worth together so that I'm not struggling to keep up, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to add, Char played Go Fish for the first time this week and totally kicked my butt, 3 times in a row! How the heck does that happen! lololol

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds exciting! I've got to get better at planning ahead. Unless we're continuing a unit study, I don't know what we're doing until the weekend before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of putting the worksheets in page protectors. I was running copies of pages so I could keep a clean original to reuse. This is much more economical!

    ReplyDelete